Friday 9 April 2010

"The Purpose of Punk was to make the ugly beautiful"




















There are quite a few alarmingly respectful obituaries to Malcolm McClaren in the papers today - something that's fairly amusing for anyone of my age - you can work your way through The Times, The Telegraph and The Guardian at your own leisure - but I strongly recommend you check out the original Grundy Interview that McLaren orchestrated but did not actually appear in. I watched this life - I was about 11, my mum was in the kitchen cooking chips - if she had caught me she would have been furious.

I've talked to some of you before about how grim Britain in the '70s was - and it's hard to think of anything in your lifetime that had the same kind of instant cultural impact. If it wasn't for this man - I think most of you would probably be working in factories or supermarkets.

No comments:

Post a Comment