Monday 10 May 2010

Waterstone's new logo

The book seller ( among other things ) under the guidance of parent company HMV - unveiled it's new logo today as part of a major revamp of stores and wider company restructure. Persoanally - I hate it, I think it's dull, unexiting and bland - it says nothing about the brand, heritge or product - it could be a shoe shop or a bathroom supply shop.

I also have a MASSIVE issue with the removal of the apostrophe, which discards the value of a 'name' brand and just becomes a strapline. I know they have done this to move towards online only recognition - but it's a shame and devalues the brand. Essentially - it's lost everything. The old logo was clumsy and dated - but this is very weak.

3 comments:

  1. I'm quite upset by that "re-brand". I liked the old logo in a way. It had a comfortably reassuring feel - like they knew what they were on about. I'm not inspired by this new logo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spoke to someone in publishing earlier and they said 'is it a sagging bum - or two droopy tits?"

    ReplyDelete