Wednesday 17 November 2010

Congratulations Due

FDA1 Courtney Vizard has had some brilliant news, and congratulations are due - this is quite an achieement. I'll put up a link to the film as soon as it's available.

"....while I was doing A-level art and design we had a few film making workshops by a group called 'ACAVA' (Association for Cultural Advancement through Visual Art)
 

I decided to write quite a self explanatory poem entitled 'Life Without Art'  and turn it into a short film. I did so and thought nothing more of it, until yesterday evening, I got a call from my old art teacher telling me the European Cultural Foundation who have links with ACAVA came across it, selected it out of 2000 short-listed video's as one of 10 to be shown during International Film Festival in Amsterdam and they would like to invite me over there.

The European government is planning drastic cuts in the budget for art and culture, and apparently there are loads of protests all over Europe. 'Life Without Art' has been picked by IDFA to be screened in libraries and galleries across Amsterdam and on huge urban screens including the one at the Rembrandtplein  (one of the biggest outdoor screens in Europe) - to point out the importance of culture and art.

They're flying me out there on Thursday, all expenses paid, I'll be staying in a top hotel and will have access to all the events over the weekend and will be part of a a weekend Art Academy programme where I'll meet industry professionals from all areas of art & culture and take part in some photographic and cinematography workshops - then fly home Monday evening.


Also just received this email from a guy at the EuroCult Foundation:

"We have just heard very nice news of IDFA:


IDFA will open (this is the world's biggest documentary festival) with your film "Life without Art", it will be the first film shown, and be repeated on regular intervals throughout the festival. Ally Derks, the director of IDFA regards it as a great statement in these difficult public arts funding times, you should not underestimate this opportunity."

No comments:

Post a Comment